EFE: The 57th edition of the Semana Internacional de Cine de Valladolid (a.k.a. la Seminici) will honour Mexico with a retrospective of twenty feature films, and screen a number of short films by Mexican filmmakers never before seen in Spain, including undistributed works by Iñárritu, Cuarón, and del Toro.
Festival director Javier Angulo explained that the retrospective will cover three generations of Mexican cinema, beginning with “first generation” director Jorge Fons, and including films produced before 2010.
The program is being coordinated by Iván Trujillo, currently director of the Guadalajara International Film Festival and former director of Mexico’s National Film Archive. It will include panel discussion with directors, actors, and experts in Mexican cinema, including representatives from IMCINE (Instituto Mexicano de Cinematografía) and the Spanish press. In recent years, Valladolid also hosted retrospectives of Indian, Swedish, and Brazilian cinemas.
The retrospective will take place 20-27 October. Read more.
The official program is still TBA but the festival website is already up.20 minutos and leonoticias also consider the work beside the official 2012 poster above (by Marta Corcho) and austerity cuts to the 57th edition of the festival, and include a tentative program for the retrospective. Of note is the planned screening of a restoration of La perla, “one of the jewels of Mexican cinema.” The 1945 film by Emilio Fernández is an adaptation of the novella by John Steinbeck (who also co-wrote the screenplay). Other films on the list include:
- Bienvenido, Welcome (1995), de Gabriel Retes
- La perdición de los hombres (2000), de Arturo Ripstein
- Perfume de violetas (2000), de Maryse Sistach
- Amores perros (2000), de Alejandro González Iñárritu
- Y tu mamá también (2001), de Alfonso Cuarón
- Cuento de hadas para dormir cocodrilos (2002), de Ignacio Ortiz
- Voces inocentes (2004), de Luis Mandoki
- Temporada de patos (2004), de Fernando Eimbcke
- En el hoyo (2006), de Juan Carlos Rulfo
- La zona (2007), de Rodrigo Plá
- El violín (2007), de Francisco Vargas
- Mi vida dentro (2007), de Lucía Gajá
- Stellet Licht (2007), de Carlos Reygadas
- Rudo y cursi (2008), de Carlos Cuarón
- Presunto culpable (2008), de Roberto Hernández y Geoffrey Smith
- El infierno (2010), de Luis Estrada
- De la infancia (2010), de Carlos Carrera
- Las buenas hierbas (2010), de Maria Novaro
- Abel (2010), de Diego Luna